Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Kathy's Wedding Cakes


I had the privilege of making wedding cakes for my friends Kathy and Colin's wedding on Sunday. I spent all weekend working on two cakes and a batch of mango-mint macarons - I don't think I could work as a pastry chef full time, it was very hard work - but it was super rewarding to see the cakes sitting prettily on the table.

I made two cakes inspired from La Pâtisserie de Pierre Hermé. I felt so grown up using a real professional pastry book, but it's actually kind of difficult working with recipes that deal with kilos of butter...

Regardless of scale, both cakes had fantastic flavor combinations; one was a mango/litchi/coconut/caramel cake, and the other a chocolate/coconut/banana cake. I had some mishaps on the way (mango mousse will stick to parchment paper like nobody's business), but I was happy with the way both cakes came out in the end. I especially like using flowers for decoration, it's much prettier than marzipan or fondant!


The wedding itself was gorgeous, small and intimate and very unique. The groom had button nosegays and the bride had a gorgeous handmade ribbon bouquet.


And the food! Kathy made everything by hand - down to the ketchup and mustard and caramelized onion jam.


There were gorgeous vases of fresh flowers everywhere (which came in handy come cake decoration time...).


It was the best food I've ever had at a wedding - the food was fresh and tasty and homemade (hey, I had fun manning the grill in a silk dress and heels).


I wish the happy couple many fun days ahead : )

1 comment:

  1. Those cakes look great, and I love all the handmade decorations and foods. It very much represents what Kathy is about. :)

    ReplyDelete